da Vinci Robotic Surgery For
Early Stage Gynecologic Cancer
The Condition: Early Stage Gynecologic Cancer
A wide variety of cancers can affect a woman’s reproductive system, which includes the uterus, vagina, ovaries and fallopian tubes. The uterus is a hollow, muscular organ, about the size of a fist, which holds a baby during pregnancy. The fallopian tubes and ovaries are located on either side of the uterus. The most common types of gynecologic cancers are cervical, endometrial or uterine, and ovarian cancer. The specific type of cancer a woman has and how advanced it is determines her treatment options. Women with early stage gynecologic cancer are often treated with hysterectomy – the surgical removal of the uterus. Your doctor may also need to remove your ovaries, fallopian tubes and/or select lymph nodes.
The Treatment: Hysterectomy
If you have a gynecologic cancer, hysterectomy may be your best treatment option. The type of hysterectomy you have will depend on your medical history, health and the extent or stage of the cancer. Traditionally, hysterectomies for cancer have long been performed using open abdominal surgery. This type of surgery requires a long incision from the pubic bone to just above the navel. An open abdominal hysterectomy can be painful, involve heavy medication, risk of infection, significant blood loss and a long recovery. Unfortunately, recovery time may also overlap with a secondary treatment – usually radiation or chemotherapy. Instead of using traditional open surgery, many gynecologic oncologists can now treat cancers with a minimally invasive approach – without a large incision or long recovery. Traditional laparoscopic surgery uses small incisions and is effective for many routine procedures. However, the long-handled, manually operated and, rigid instruments used for laparoscopy are not considered effective for more delicate or complex operations.
da Vinci Hysterectomy
Fortunately, there is a minimally invasive option for treating gynecologic conditions designed to overcome the limitations of traditional open and laparoscopic surgery – da Vinci Surgery. If your doctor recommends a hysterectomy to treat cancer, you may be a candidate for da Vinci Surgery. Using state-of-the-art technology, a da Vinci® Hysterectomy requires only a few tiny incisions, so you can get back to your life faster. da Vinci Surgery enables your doctor to perform a hysterectomy for complex conditions with enhanced vision, precision, dexterity and control. da Vinci offers women many potential benefits over traditional surgery, including:
- Less pain3
- Fewer complications4
- Less blood loss5,6
- Shorter hospital stay6
- Low risk of wound infection7
- Quicker recovery and return to normal activities8
The da Vinci System is a state-of-the-art surgical platform with 3D, high-definition vision and miniaturized, wristed surgical instruments designed to help doctors take surgery beyond the limits of the human hand. By helping doctors to overcome the challenges of traditional open and laparoscopic surgery, da Vinci is changing the experience of surgery for women around the world. If you have been putting off treatment for a gynecologic condition, it’s time to ask your doctor about da Vinci Surgery.
- Ko EM, Muto MG, Berkowitz RS, Feltmate CM.Robotic versus open radical hysterectomy: a comparative study at a single institution. Gynecol Oncol. 2008 Dec;111(3):425-30. Epub 2008 Oct 16.
- Piquion-Joseph JM, Navar A, Ghazaryan A, Papanna R, Klimek W, Laroia R. Robot-assisted gynecological surgery in a community setting. Journal of Robotic Surgery, 2009:1-4.
- DeNardis SA, Holloway RW, Bigsby GE, Pikaart DP, Ahmad S, and Finkler NJ. Robotically assisted laparoscopic hysterectomy versus total abdominal hysterectomy and lymphadenectomy for endometrial cancer. Gynecologic Oncology 2008;111:412-417.
- Payne, T. N. and F. R. Dauterive. A comparison of total laparoscopic hysterectomy to robotically assisted hysterectomy: surgical outcomes in a community practice. J Minim Invasive Gynecol, 2008;15(3): 286-291.
- Boggess JF, Gehrig PA, Cantrell L, Shafer A, Ridgway M, Skinner EN, Fowler WC. A comparative study of 3 surgical methods for hysterectomy with staging for endometrial cancer: robotic assistance, laparoscopy, laparotomy. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Oct;199(4):360.e1-9.
- Bell MC, Torgerson J, Seshadri-Kreaden U, Suttle AW, Hunt S. Comparison of outcomes and cost for endometrial cancer staging via traditional laparotomy, standard laparoscopy and robotic techniques. Gynecol Oncol. 2008 Dec;111(3):407-11. Epub 2008 Oct 1.
As with any surgery, these benefits cannot be guaranteed since surgery is specific to each patient, condition and procedure. It is important to talk to your doctor about all treatment options, including the risks and benefits. This information can help you to make the best decision for your situation.
While clinical studies support the effectiveness of the da Vinci Surgical System when used in minimally invasive surgery, individual results may vary. There are no guarantees of outcome. All surgeries involve the risk of major complications. Before you decide on surgery, discuss treatment options with your doctor. Understanding the risks of each treatment can help you make the best decision for your individual situation. Surgery with the da Vinci Surgical System may not be appropriate for every individual; it may not be applicable to your condition.
Always ask your doctor about all treatment options, as well as their risks and benefits. Only your doctor can determine whether da Vinci Surgery is appropriate for your situation. The clinical information and opinions, including any inaccuracies expressed in this material by patients or doctors about da Vinci Surgery, are not necessarily those of Suburban Gynecology. and should not be considered as substitute for medical advice provided by your doctor.
For more information, please visit www.davincisurgery.com
Using the da Vinci Robotic Surgery system, surgeons can operate with GREATER PRECISION & control with a high definition 3D VISION & a magnified view.
To learn more about da Vinci Robotic Surgery please take a moment to view our educational library.
- da Vinci Gynecologic Procedures
- da Vinci Hysterectomy
- da Vinci Myomectomy