What is Urogynecology
Urogynecology is a relatively new specialty that focuses exclusively on the care of women with pelvic floor dysfunction. This can include issues such as pelvic organ prolapse, urinary incontinence, urinary tract infections, void dysfunction and pelvic pain. Urogynecology is also known as Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery.
Urogynecology & Female Pelvic Medicine
Pelvic organ prolapse occurs when a pelvic organ-such as your bladder or uterus – drop (prolapses) from its normal place in your lower abdomen and pushes against the walls of your vagina. This can happen when the muscles that hold your pelvic organs in place get weak or stretched from childbirth or surgery.
Urinary Incontinence is the accidental release of urine.
The three main types of urinary incontinence are:
- Stress incontinence – occurs during activities like coughing, sneezing, laughing, or exercise.
- Urge incontinence – involves a strong, sudden need to urinate.
- Overflow incontinence – occurs when the bladder cannot empty.
Urinary tract infection or UTI is a bacterial infection that occurs when bacteria invade the urinary tract system and multiply throughout the urinary tract system. While the majority of urinary tract infections or UTIs are not serious, they often cause severe symptoms such as pain and/or burning upon urination.
Void dysfunction includes urinary frequency, incomplete emptying of the bladder, and painful urination. This may be caused by the bladder or if the nerves and muscles in the pelvis around the bladder are dysfunctional.
Chronic Pelvic pain in women refers to pain in the lowest part of your abdomen and pelvis that lasts six months or longer. Chronic pelvic pain can be a symptom of another disease, or it can be a condition in its own right.
Urogynecological Procedures offered include:
- Robotic Burch Bladder Suspension
- Chronic Pelvic Pain Treatment
- Uterine & Vaginal Prolapse
- Urinary Incontinence
- Robotic Surgery
- Sling Insertion for Incontinence
- Interstim Sacral Neuromodulation for OAB (Overactive Bladder)
- Cystocele repair
- Urethral bulking
- Botox Bladder injection for OAB (Over Active Bladder)
- Rectocele repair
- Pelvic Floor Trigger Point Injections for Pelvic Floor Muscular Pain
- Vesico – Vaginal & Recto – Vaginal Fistula Repair
- Treatment of Interstitial Cystitis
- Reconstructive pelvic surgery
- Vaginal hysterectomy